Media Contact: Adam Sarvana
(202) 225-6065 or (202) 578-6626 mobile
Committee Passes Landmark Bills Blocking Unpopular Offshore Drilling, Guaranteeing Full Funding for Land and Water Conservation Fund
Washington, D.C. – At a just-concluded markup, the House Natural Resources Committee approved bills to block offshore drilling in the Eastern Gulf of Mexico and along the Atlantic and Pacific coasts and to provide the full $900 million annual authorized funding level for the Land and Water Conservation Fund.
Among other measures initially listed for consideration today, Ranking Member Rob Bishop’s (R-Utah) H.R. 1225, a bill to cover the costs of public land agency maintenance needs that previous Congresses had failed to fund adequately, will be brought up at a future markup.
The fate of each bill considered today, plus a short description, is available below. A photo album of today’s debate is available at http://bit.ly/2ZAhp5K.
- H.R. 205 (Rep. Rooney), To amend the Gulf of Mexico Energy Security Act of 2006 to permanently extend the moratorium on leasing in certain areas of the Gulf of Mexico. “Protecting and Securing Florida's Coastline Act of 2019” – PASSED BY RECORDED VOTE
- H.R. 759 (Rep. Babin), To restore an opportunity for tribal economic development on terms that are equal and fair, and for other purposes. “Ysleta del Sur Pueblo and Alabama-Coushatta Tribes of Texas Equal and Fair Opportunity Settlement Act” – PASSED BY VOICE VOTE
- H.R. 1088 (Rep. Marshall), To authorize the Society of the First Infantry Division to make modifications to the First Division Monument located on Federal land in Presidential Park in District of Columbia, and for other purposes. “First Infantry Recognition of Sacrifice in Theater Act” – PASSED BY VOICE VOTE
- H.R. 1305 (Rep. Lowenthal), “Albatross and Petrel Conservation Act” -- PASSED BY RECORDED VOTE
- H.R. 1365 (Rep. San Nicolas), To make technical corrections to the Guam World War II Loyalty Recognition Act. – PASSED BY VOICE VOTE
- H.R. 1941 (Rep. Cunningham), To amend the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act to prohibit the Secretary of the Interior including in any leasing program certain planning areas, and for other purposes. “Coastal and Marine Economies Protection Act” – PASSED BY RECORDED VOTE
- H.R. 2427 (Rep. Sarbanes), To amend the Chesapeake Bay Initiative Act of 1998 to reauthorize the Chesapeake Bay Gateways and Watertrails Network. “Chesapeake Bay Gateways and Watertrails Network Reauthorization Act of 2019” – PASSED BY VOICE VOTE
- H.R. 3195 (Rep. Van Drew), To amend title 54, United States Code, to provide permanent, dedicated funding for the Land and Water Conservation Fund, and for other purposes. “Land and Water Conservation Fund Permanent Funding Act” – PASSED BY RECORDED VOTE
BILLS NOT CONSIDERED TODAY
- H.R. 182 (Rep. Keating), To extend the authorization for the Cape Cod National Seashore Advisory Commission.
- H.R. 1225 (Rep. Bishop), To establish, fund, and provide for the use of amounts in a National Park Service and Public Lands Legacy Restoration Fund to address the maintenance backlog of the National Park Service, United States Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management, and Bureau of Indian Education, and for other purposes. “Restore Our Parks and Public Lands Act”
- H.R. 2490 (Rep. Fortenberry), To amend the National Trails System Act to direct the Secretary of the Interior to conduct a study on the feasibility of designating the Chief Standing Bear National Historic Trail, and for other purposes.
Bill texts and amendments in the nature of a substitute can be found by visiting the U.S. House of Representatives Committee Repository at http://docs.house.gov/.
# # #